I’m going to be bold here and say the way I do my poached eggs is the best and you should all do as I do. I was very good at doing just one egg but became scared when I had another mouth to feed. How was I going to do more than one at a time? If it wasn’t perfect would he be ashamed to be the boyfriend of a PoachFailure? So I Quit and fried instead.
Until recently that is, after reading a blog by the Salad Club my poaching mojo came back and with a vengeance, now I’m poaching in my sleep.
This is what you need to do and I’m going to use bullet points because it really is this simple.
- Put just enough water in a saucepan so that you could submerged a fully shelled egg on its side.
- Drop a tiny glug of malt vinegar into the water
- Put on the highest heat and cover the pan
- Crack your eggs into separate glasses, mugs, teacups – whatever you have available to you
- Once the water is boiling remove the pan from the heat
- Make a whirlpool in your water EDIT: I have sinced discovered that there is no need to do this, it works just as well (and perhaps a bit better) if the water is still
- Pop your eggs in, one by one. Try to avoid aiming them on top of each other
- Recover the pan
- After a few minutes, take a peek – gently poke the yolk, with the end of a wooden spoon (or similar) to see if the yolk is to your liking
- Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon (or similar)
- EAT with whatever you desire, my personal favourite at the moment is with a Potato Waffle & a dusting of ground paprika.